VIVEK DESHPANDE Posted: Jul 01, 2003 at 0000 hrs IST AMRAVATI, JUNE 30: Shall we ever know for sure if Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose really died in a plane crash in 1945, or if he went on to survive till 1977 in the disguise of a spiritual guru? Well, the Mukherjee Commission, the third one to probe the mysterious death, is well on course. But for retired principal S.S. Padhye, there’s not an iota of doubt that Netaji lived till 1977.Padhye, in his seventies, claims he was in close touch with Netaji between 1964 and 1971 and even hid him for four months in the Melghat forest when Intelligence personnel were on his trail. The innumerable papers and pictures he has clearly rubbish the crash death theory, he claims.
The Mukherjee Commission led by secretary P.K. Sengupta was here for three days to hear Padhye and check the veracity of his claims. The Commission says it will take some time to comment on Padhye’s credibility. (NOT COMMENTED)
Sengupta said on Monday the panel would use the latest scientific knowledge to do a DNA analysis of Netaji’s ashes. ‘‘We have also taken blood samples from three Netaji descendants and would employ handwriting experts to establish the truth,’’ he said.
Padhye, however, is more than sure that the man he saw was Netaji. ‘‘I visited his Shaulmari Ashram in West Bengal, where he lived as Sharadanand Baba, regularly till 1971, and was in his charmed circle. A cut near his left eyebrow, a slight squint and straight nose, his 5-9’ frame and the handwriting in letters he wrote to me proved it was him,’’ Padhye, who retired as principal of the local VMV College, says.
Impressed by a 1962 article by Marathi litterateur P.K. Atre on the latter’s visit to Shaulmari Ashram, Padhye wrote to the Baba in 1964 expressing a desire to meet him.
‘‘In 1965, a Nagpur paper published a report that the ashram was a hotbed of spies. The ashram asking me to come over with 10 copies of the paper,’’ he says.
‘‘That was the turning point. I went there. Initially, I was a suspect, what with the ashram being under close intelligence scrutiny due to reports that Baba was actually Netaji. But slowly, I won Baba’s confidence,’’ he adds.
Showing pictures he took of the man, Padhye says: ‘‘No one else has such pictures as Baba wouldn’t allow himself to be photographed.’’
About the Intelligence chase, Padhye says Nehru was worried the country would rally behind Netaji if he were to surface. ‘‘Netaji had once commented that Jawaharlal had the greatest greatness and meanest meanness,’’ he says.
Why did Khosla Commission of 1971 not check his claims? ‘‘The commission wanted me to go to Calcutta. I said I can’t, and invited it to Amravati. I insisted I be questioned in-camera to which it didn’t respond,’’ he says. (Both the commissions set to probe neglected him).
‘‘In 1976, I went to see Netaji again, this time at Dehra Dun. By this time, none of his INA friends was hiding his identity. So I asked him why he didn’t disclose it. He said ‘he was no more the boyish ambitious Subhash.”
Other than this i have another instance of Sh. Ram Kumar Agrawal, who is a shopkeeper in Paltan Bazaar, Dehra Dun. Once Swami Shardanand ji visited to buy some clothes from Paltan Bazar, Dehra Dun. There he entered in the shop of Sh. Ram Kumar Agrawal. It was early morning time and Mr. Agrawal had just opened the shop and there was no other customer at taht time in the shop. Seeing a saint entering his shop in the morning time, Being a religious person he got delighted and asked for some tea etc. Seeing his entertainingly nature, Subhash ji got pleased and after having the meals,emotionally pleased. Mr. Ramani Ranjan Das accompanying Bose, asked the shopkeeper if he could recognize him. Oh no! replied Agrawal. He disclosed that the saint is Subhash Chandra Bose. Hearing this Agrawal got up from his seat and respectfully bowed his head and touched the feet of Subhash who was a sanyasi. Both of them were very pleased on his hospitality and Subhash ji blessed agrawal with the commitment not to disclose his identity to anybody else. After this they went away. Since than he (Agrawal) used to visit him and became a follower. SUBHASH WAS ALIVE.Though the Government of India was continuously watching him and aware of his movements, his presence in India is always kept top-secret. First of all the news of Netaji in his new avtar as Swamiji was published in 'VEER ARJUN' from Delhi in 1960.
The sadhu reportedly stayed in the Ashram for 6/7 years whereafter he visited several places in India and ultimately settled down in Dehra Dun in 1973. There he died in 1977.
In an exclusive interview, first published in India Abroad, the newspaper owned by rediff.com, last year, Anita Bose Pfaff, Netaji's only child, spoke to Shyam Bhatia about her father's legacy.
Though she spoke only last year but remarked period was up to 1977 only, why? What does it indicate indirectly? You can easily understand what i mean to say. Netaji was directly or indirectly not involved in politics though he was alive and died at Dehra Dun in 1977.
I don’t know why the people of Dehra Dun did not come forward to disclose of on-goings after the death of Swamiji in 1977. Either the visit of Mukarji commission was not disclosed in general public or any announcement not made, just to eye-wash a drama of inquiry, written and played.
How many proves are required to formal announcement by Govt. that Swamiji was Netaji Subhash Bose?
- What was the identity of the person died at 194 Rajpur Road Dehra Dun, for whom the wireless message was sent by the than UP Governor intimating that a VIP is passed at that place and police arrangements for escort be made.
- What was the status of that VIP or what category of VIP was granted to him ?
- Why the administration issued the orders for the body of Swamiji to be kept to pay last tributes by general public (from all around the world) for 10 days ? whereas Swamiji was not known to the general public of Dehra Dun. It was the secret when disclosed, that Swamiji was Netaji, Public arrived there and paid tribute in queues for 10 days continuously.
- Who were the main visitors of high repute visited the place during these 10 days? Any record ?
- Why the dead body of Swamiji was draped in Tri-color, to mark as a respect to the head of the nation? (Netaji was head of free India, recognized by nine countries), or to mark as a respect to a soldier (Supreme commander of INA).
- Why a Full State Military Honor was given to Swamiji by guard of honor and 21 gun salutes to the deceased, to a Sanyasi if his past was not related to defence services ?
- Why full control of funeral was taken under control by the administration instead of the disciples of Swamiji ?
- Why the body draped in tri-color, and taken to Rishikesh in a procession under escort of three trucks of armed personals of PAC,(UP)
- Mr. Sen Gupta, secretary to Mr. Mukarjee, stayed three days at Amravati to check the veracity of his claims. Though the commission promised him to look into the matter and to comment after sometime but unfortunately that time has never come. Mr. Padhye was having hand written letters and some photographs which could prove his claim. Why he was not witnessed by Mr. Mukarji?
- Before this, Mr. Padhye also approached Mr. Khosla to witness before the commission but in-camera only and that is at Amravati as he was unable to go to Calcutta. Mr. Khosla turned down his request and the matter remained unsolved.
Dehra Dun will be given a place on the map of tourism with special status of fame. The journey of the great son of India which begined from Cuttack on 1897, ended at Dehra Dun in 1977.
Only a formal declaration is required to be made by the Government of India. There will be no harm even to congress as all leaders of his time are no more so the true respect at least be given now.
JAI HIND !! JAI HIND !! JAI HIND !! JAI HIND !! JAI HIND !!
For more information and evidences, please visit:--
Written by: Ajmer Singh Randhawa,
Contact no. 0091-9818610698.
http://subhashji.blogspot.com/ (HIndi language)
http://legendsubhash.blogspot.com/ (Witness only)
http://subhash-jaihind.blogspot.com/ ( Bangla language).